Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Top Ten Major Jerks in Literature



Please note that this post contains spoilers, but all books have been out for at least 6 months- the only one you are probably concerned with might be Clockwork Angel.

10.  Eric from Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants- as a high school teacher, I have to seriously question any young man who would take advantage of a girl like Bridget.  I know that a lot of guys do, but that makes them jerks, not romantic characters.  Even if he "redeems" himself later in the series... it's still gross and pathetic.



9.  The Onceler from The Lorax- how could anyone not care about the truffula trees and the barbaloots in their barbaloot suits?



8.  Johnny Nolan (father) from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn- Johnny is a character whom you feel bad for, and you can understand why he is the way he is, but poor Katie!



7.  Josh Richter from The Princess Diaries- ewwwww.  Yes, I know he's hot, but what a tool!  He gets this distinction for kissing Mia for publicity, although this was more dramatic in the movie than in the book.  Plus, he dumps Lana for Mia, then goes right back to Lana.



6. Edward Cullen from Twilight- he may be one of my literary loves, but I never quite got over him abandoning Bella in the forest in New Moon.  I can deal with the bossiness (see my review of Abandon) but the leaving, no.  PLUS- the forest?  He should have found a way to alert her father and have Bella committed or something.



5.  Macon from Someone Like You- SCUMBAG!  I hated him in the book, and I hated him in the movie.



4.  Will Herondale from Clockwork Angel- I totally freaked out at the end of the book where he hurt Tessa so much...  I know Will has been deeply hurt during his life, and I'm sure I will forgive him just as TESSA WILL (DSBS?), but yikes!  I was actually shocked by his bad behavior.  



3.  Brian from Dangerously Alice- he's a skeez to begin with, but the drunk driving sent me over the edge.  My niece's father is in jail for drunk driving right now, and I hope he stays there for a good length of time.  JUST DON'T DO IT for crying out loud.



2.  Joren of Stone Mountain from The Protector of the Small- I love how Tamora Pierce describes him so beautifully, a cruel angel.  I also love how he gets what's coming to him.  It's nice to see bad guys pay.



1.  Daniel Cleaver from Bridget Jones' Diary- CREEPER.  Hugh Grant portrays him perfectly.  Hate the skeezy boss behavior, LOVE the fountain fight between Hugh Grant and Colin Firth.



There you have it!

2 comments:

  1. Love your list! Yes to Brian from the Alice series (he was always a jerk but he got more so as the series went on), and Joren is another great choice, so despicable. I agree, Tamora Pierce does some fabulous characters (villains and heroines alike!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the Edward Cullen bit, that was really terrible. I can't see why he would do that in the first place. No one's that altruistic and made little sense that he would believe it would help her.

    I think that when it comes to Will Herondale, there is more to know. I've just purchased the new book in that series and it seems that he's got his reasons.

    Generally though, in novels, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I like to love.

    ReplyDelete