Thursday, April 28, 2011

Review of Abandon (or My Love for Authoritative Boyfriends)

When I reserved Abandon at the library, it was only because it was a Meg Cabot book.  I actually knew nothing about the plot, but as you can easily tell from my blog, I am a little bit obsessed with MC, and have been since I was about 15.



Abandon is the first book in the story of high school student Pierce Oliviera (loosely based on the myth of Persephone).  I don't want to spoil the mystery that surrounds the first chapters of the book, so I will just say that Pierce is recovering from a NDE (near death experience) and a subsequent disastrous event, referred to at first as "the incident."  As a result of her bizarre behavior following and surrounding these events, Pierce is asked to leave her prestigious all-girls school. She moves with her mother to her mom's hometown on Isla Huesos, based on Key West, where she is expected to start high school.  Little did Pierce know that she had escaped from one dangerous situation into another even more dangerous one.

This book is full of action- very fast-paced.  It reminds me of Rick Riordan's writing (appropriate given the subject matter!) in that it moves quickly between scenes, no pages of descriptions or long transitions to flip through.  The beginning is so mysterious that I couldn't put it down until I made it about halfway.  It was fortunate that there was sort of a gap between the mystery and the climactic action so I could get some work done, because once I picked it up a second time, there was no stopping.

I give this book 4/5 stars, which on my rating scale means that PERSONALLY I loved it, but I am not sure if it is for everyone.  I would definitely recommend giving it a shot, this book is dark and delicious and surprisingly romantic.  The male protagonist (or is he?) is a perfect combination of Mr. Darcy, Michael Moscovitz, and Will Herondale- old-fashioned, sexy, demanding, and tortured. LOVE IT!!  I've been rereading the PD series, and Mia goes on and on about how she likes it when Michael is bossy (me too ;D), so I laughed when I realized that MC had created this amazing fantasy character whom Mia would swoon for.

Anyways, the ending was epic (shoutout to Jade!), and I can't wait for book 2, Underworld.

Check out MC's guest post on blog Presenting Lenore!

No comments:

Post a Comment