Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"Review" of Mockingjay -- **SPOILERS** or at least spoilerish

So I feel that there is absolutely no need for me to actually review Mockingjay, but I would like to share my thoughts.  I loved the book- until I got to the last 25 pages or so.  Basically after the execution scene, I was not impressed.  I know people think it gives this great thought provoking message about society, but the ending just made me angry with Suzanne Collins.  I wish I could go back to believing that everything would be okay.  What about HOPE?  Also, why didn't Guy X fall in love with Katniss's daughter?  Isn't that the best way to resolve a love triangle?

I don't even know how many stars to give the book.  Most of the book I would give a 5.  I stayed up way too late to finish, and then cried hysterically for about 20 minutes afterwords, so the ending gets a 2.  This averages to a 3.5, so does the book get a 3 or a 4 on Goodreads?  I don't know.

How can I recommend a series that caused me so much pain to the kids I work with?  Some of them are super-depressed already... and I'm sure that some of them would be find and maybe appreciate the ending.

I feel tricked.  It would be like in HP 7 if Ron moved to Japan and and Hermione died and Ginny became mentally ill and had to live in St. Mungo's for all eternity.    Seriously... what's the deal with that?

3 comments:

  1. You know, I actually thought that Mockingjay was amazing, and I'm one of the few. I thought it was extremely dark and difficult to read, but the tiniest glimmer of hope appeared at the end, and I thought that was the message of the story.

    Either way, I respect your thoughts, and this was a great, honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it- I have a friend who loves very sad movies/books and I think she would really get a lot out of this book as well. I really only like happy endings... which makes me a less flexible reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I love the resolve the love triangle comment. It made me lol
    I also didn't quite like the non-execution and the way she (didn't) dealt with "guy x"

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete