Saturday, June 16, 2012

Review of Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles


Perfect Chemistry

Simone Elkeles
2008

Look at all that dark hair!

Reasons for reading:


I downloaded Perfect Chemistry on my Kindle in a jubilant book-buying spree of quite a few books on my TBR list that I haven’t yet had an opportunity to read.  I thought Perfect Chemistry would be a fun teen romance with some steamy parts.  I loved the dark cover- although I sometimes enjoy sugary books with little-girl-y covers, I liked that this cover seemed more edgy.

Basic plot:


Alex is in the Latino Blood gang outside Chicago.  Brittany is a white girl princess with a terrible home life.  When they are forced to be Chem partners, sexual tension and violence ensues…

Curiosities:


Direct quote from p. 278? (according to my kindle): “‘You only live once.’”  Again, p. 280: “Alex pulls me close and whispers in my ear, ‘You only live once, isn’t that what you said? Dance with me again.’”  When I read this, The Motto starts playing in my head… E’ryday e’ryday… YOLO…”  It made me sad that such a watershed part of the book was so cliché.



Alex is hot.  You will not be disappointed in his sexy bad-boy-ness.  This book was worth reading simply because of that.

Not sure if these are the models or what, but :D


Brittany’s older sister, Shelly, has cerebral palsy, yet her character is developed and plays an important part in the story.  I found it refreshing to read a character with serious disabilities who isn’t treated with pity or swept aside by the story.

I was under the impression that the story was a trilogy.  No.  The story is contained in this one book- the two books that come after it are about each of Alex’s little brothers. This story goes beyond a typical book and includes a weird TWENTY-THREE years later epilogue- this just seemed excessive to me.  It was like the author wanted to reassure the reader that they really, really did live happily ever after. Also, I can’t explain this without spoilers, but it’s almost supernatural- reminds me of what’s going on in Starcrossed.

Final thoughts:


I’m glad I read it, but I wish I had read it when I was younger and I wanted stories to tie up neatly.  I feel like I’ve either read this book or seen the movie because the plot was VERY predictable, but Alex’s hotness and the tenderness Brittany feels for her sister made this book worth reading, and I would recommend it to mature middle (there is actual SEX) / high school readers looking for a romantic story about love overcoming circumstances.  Three stars.

Book trailer:



I'm glad I didn't watch this book trailer until after I read the book... BUT THEN AGAIN, my middle schoolers would love this trailer and would be fighting over the book.  SO if you are under the age of 15, watch the trailer.  Over 15, just read the book.

1 comment:

  1. You have a fabulous blog! I’m an author and illustrator and I made some awards to give fellow bloggers whose sites I enjoy. I want to award you with one of my homemade awards: the Best Books Blog Award. There are no pass along requirements. This is just to reward you for all the hard work you do!

    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
    ~Deirdra

    ReplyDelete