Friday, July 1, 2011

Book Blogger Hop (16) and Follow Friday (5)

Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Crazy for Books!


What keeps you reading beyond the first few pages of a book, and what makes you want to stop reading a book and put it back on the shelf?


Great question!  I love when the book begins with a little mystery, but it's not so vague that you have to keep flipping around, wondering if you missed something.  I also like hot characters and the promise of something interesting to follow.  I'll give up on a book if the first chapter is boring or if the writing is too abrasive.  I have to admit, I almost gave up on City of Bones because I don't think the first chapter is strong.

Follow Friday is hosted by Parajunkee's View!

Q. ACK! Your favorite book/movie character (example Hermione Granger played by the Emma chick) just walked into the room! Who is it and what would be your first reaction? You get extra points if you include visual stimulation.



Another great question this week.  I love Mia Thermopolis from the Princess Diaries played by Anne Hathaway.  Although Anne is very different from how Mia's appearance is described in the book, she plays the personality off well.  I'd be so psyched to meet her- stay tuned for more on my love for all things Meg Cabot!

If you are visiting, please leave a comment so I can return the visit!

10 comments:

  1. LOL, Mia is pretty cool

    New follower

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/07/follow-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower stopping by! I haven't read the Princess Diaries, but I'm going to get started this summer for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books definitely need the promise of more to follow, and hot characters are a definite plus!

    Princess Mia is a fun choice. I loved the Princess Diaries movies! :)

    I hope you'll take the time to check out my Follow Friday and Book Blogger Hop posts.

    Kris Imaginary Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. These book blogger hop questions just get better and better. This one looks easy but I think it’s a trick question. We all know it’s the same answer – the writing – but we all have different perspectives of what good writing is.

    Hop on over to my blog at http://www.howardsherman.net and read my three-prong answer as I explain why I’ll decide to pick up a book or put it down in under sixty seconds.

    Happy July 4th Weekend!

    Howard Sherman, Implementor
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old follower, hopping by! I love a little mystery to peek my interest and keep me reading a book! I loved Anne Hathaway's character Mia from the Princess Diaries! Great choice :)

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Follow Friday! I'm a new follower - please check out my blog! Steph @ www.bethebooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopping through. Isn't it amazing that Anne can look like that. She's so pretty. I agree that she looks perfect as Mia.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book DOES need to let me know something interesting is going to happen, although if it starts out slowly, but the writing is really good, I'll keep reading to give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll bet Anne just loves that picture!

    Hopping through via Parajunkee. I'm having a giveaway on my blog this weekend, so please stop by!

    Holjo @ Pedantic Phooka
    www.pedanticphooka.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am your newest GFC friend. My answer to this weeks question on Book Blogger Hop.

    I started reading a book the last month and it was suppose to be a very good book. But after giving it a couple of chapters I just couldn’t get into it. I put the book aside to read another day. I don’t like to do that because I feel as if my mind might have had too many distractions and I didn’t give the book a chance. So I always try to wait for another day to give it another go. I have so many other books calling to me from my to-be-read list that it can really be distracting. READ ME! READ ME!
    I prefer reading and reviewing Christian Fiction but I do read a varity of other books. I just can’t handle too scary or gory. Suspense and Mysteries I like. No explicit adult books either if I do find one I really want to read I just skip over the x-rated stuff. So what genre do I read?

    http://itstimetoreadmamaw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete