Friday, October 8, 2010

Review- Pretty Little Liars


Pretty Little Liars, by Sara Shepard
2006

AHHHH!!!! This book really creeped me out.

Summary from Goodreads:


Everyone has something to hide—especially high school juniors Spencer, Aria, Emily, and Hanna.

Spencer covets her sister's boyfriend. Aria's fantasizing about her English teacher. Emily's crushing on the new girl at school. Hanna uses some ugly tricks to stay beautiful.
But they've all kept an even bigger secret since their friend Alison vanished.
How do I know? Because I know everything about the bad girls they were, the naughty girls they are, and all the dirty secrets they've kept. And guess what? I'm telling.

Whoa.  This book might appear to be just another YA chick-lit type deal, but it scared the crap out of me late last night.  I thought I was going to have nightmares.  Basically the girls all have secrets, and they receive mysterious messages signed "A".


Pretty Little Liars does contain the typical rich high school girl drama- they drink, they smoke, they hook up.  Somehow the mystery of what happened to their friend Alison and how they are receiving these seemingly omniscient messages from "A" makes up for the cliche-ness.


Okay- so I just cheated and read the series summary on Wikipedia- and this series is kind of whacked.  I can see how high school girls and maybe middle school girls would love it, though- it is a mystery/thriller based on what's familiar to them.  I would recommend this book to girls looking for something like that, but I'm not continuing.  I didn't realize before that there are 8 books!  


Bottom line-  if they sound good, give the first book a shot.  I enjoyed reading it, but not enough to keep going.  3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment